I don’t go out for lunch – only dinner. So when I posted our favorite places to eat as a vegan/mixed family I missed quite a few places.
Ryan, a SkywayMom reader and fellow vegan, works downtown, knows the lunch scene, and sent me this list of vegan items he knows downtown. Current as of Aug. 2015. Restaurants are only open Monday through Friday for lunch unless otherwise noted.
Here’s Ryan’s recommendations….
(Italics are my additions.)
Senor Wongs [call ahead to order so items will be ready when arriving]
(Now known as SW Craft Bar. Open Everyday! It’s open for lunch, dinner and late night too, menu is actually labeled for vegan food. I’ll need to check this out!)
- El Mocko Taco (spicy mock duck, fresh orange-habanero pico de gallo, guacamole)
- Side salad (fresh spring greens, cucumbers, spicy sesame or ginger vinaigrette dressing)
- Eggplant Torta (panko crusted fried eggplant, refried beans, guacamole, tomatoes, red onions, pickled jalapeños,cilantro, arugula, vegan cilantro aioli)
- Pad Thai [NOTE: ask for it without eggs and with tofu] (rice noodles, eggs, bean sprouts, onions, scallions, crushed peanuts, tofu)
- Vegan Veggie soup
- Veggie avocado hummus lettuce wrap [or with a tortilla instead]
- Several salads can be easily veganized
- Avocado Portabella Panini [request as vegan]
- Spinach Avocado wrap
- Veggie burger [unconfirmed if vegan]
- Veggie Avocado Melt [order without cheese and without spread]
- Hummus, Chick Peas, Tomatoes & Baby Spinach Panini
- Side Salad
(Subway has a new veggie patty/burger that they’ve been gradually expanding to new markets. Not sure if it has arrived here. Be sure to ask! Also the Subway in the Wells Fargo Center by the Children’s Museum is open everyday, including holidays, until 5pm, The others I believe are open until 5pm but are closed Sundays.)
- Veggie Delight sandwich [leave off the cheese and mayo]
- Vegetable Sushi Roll [suggested to add tofu]
- Vegetable Miso [request as vegan]
- Japanese Tofu Rice Bowl [request as vegan]
(Open 6:30am to 4pm M-F)
- Daily lunches always vegetarian and oftentimes vegan [call ahead to check]
- Grape Leaves with Tabbouleh and Lebanese bread
- Artichoke & Peas with Lebanese bread
- Veggie Wrap [order without cheese] (guacamole, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, sprouts & cheddar cheese on a spinach wrap)
- Guac-N-Cheese Sandwich [order without cheese] (guacamole, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, sprouts and cheese)
- Nectary Salad [order without cheese] (spring mix lettuce, shredded cheddar, green pepper and cucumber)
This list is not exhaustive, and it never hurts to double check with the restaurant that your food will be vegan before you order. Also, there are a number of fast food Asian eateries on the skyway which have items that appear to be vegan but often times are made with fish sauce, egg, or other animal derived cooking products. Also note that menus are subject to change.
Long Lunch, Weekend Dining, or Weekday Dinner?
If you have more time for lunch, or are downtown for dinner, then check out the following places which all either have vegan options or can make you something vegan:
- Faces Mediterranean Restaurant [Moroccan flare] (skyway connected)
- Hunan’s Chinese Restaurant (skyway connected)
- Christos Greek Restaurant (skyway connected)
- Sawatee Thai Restaurant
- SW Craft Bar Fusion [Asian/Mexican] (skyway connected)
- Babani’s Kurdish Restaurant
- Heartland Restaurant & Wine Bar [farm fresh, all natural, but call ahead as menu is limited]
- Black Sheep Pizza (Tomato & Oregano pie is vegan, and several appetizers)
Thank you Ryan!
Others I would mention are
- Chipotle open M-F until 6pm, skyway connected.
- Afro Deli open M-Sat. until 7pm on the 7th place pedestrian plaza.
Our favorites from that list are Raum Mitt Thai for sit down and Ho Fan in the skyway for take out (Yelp says open until 5pm, but we’ve always known them to be open until 7pm. They are always there until then M-F.)
Plus, downtown Saint Paul got a whole new set of restaurants thanks to the new Saints Baseball Stadium fall of 2015. Updates to come I’m sure!
Please add any dishes or restaurants you know of in the comments.