I’ve entered the world of politics to save Pedro Park.
It’s a park that only exists on paper and in our dreams, but it was so well planned and so close to the finish line, we bought a condo across the street confident our 5 and 8 year old would play there soon.
And then, in a 180° turn around, the Mayor of Saint Paul decided our neighborhood needed an office building more than a park.
- Never mind the park has been in the official city blue print since 2006.
- Never mind our population has doubled since the park was first considered a need.
- Never mind a multi million dollar donation from the Pedro family to see a larger park become a reality.
- Never mind $100,000 spent for a feasibility and planning study.
- Never mind the official park boundaries set in 2015 include the building now up for sale.
- Never mind the official reason for vacating that building was – and I quote from Log. No. CF-6603207 requesting $16 million for the Police Department – “(deciding) on a plan to remove the building and develop the site into a park. The age and condition of the building and the furtherance of the City’s plan creates an urgency to demolish the annex…”
- Never mind no funding for the park has been attempted since it became vacant.